NiSource Again Named to Dow Jones Sustainability Index
Merrillville, Indiana-based NiSource Inc. was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) – North America in recognition of the company’s sustainable business practices and performance for the fourth consecutive year. NiSource is the second highest ranked U.S. multi-utility on the list.
The ranking reflects advancements NiSource made to its sustainability strategy in 2016 by outlining aggressive and achievable targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Supported by its existing business strategy and $30 billion of long-term infrastructure investment opportunities, these emission reduction targets are enabled through the retirement of 50 percent of the company’s coal-fired electric generation fleet and accelerated replacement of its natural gas distribution infrastructure.
“We take pride in our inclusion on this list because it recognizes our relentless focus on serving our customers in a way that is safe, reliable, environmentally responsible and sustainable,” said NiSource president and CEO Joe Hamrock. “We’ve set our sights high and are making proactive environmental improvements that are in line with the needs of our customers.”
By 2025, NiSource expects to reduce:
- Nitrogen oxide, sulfur dioxide and mercury emissions by more than 90 percent from 2005 levels.
- Water withdrawal by more than 90 percent from 2005 levels.
- Methane emissions from gas service and main lines by more than 50 percent from 2005 levels.
- Carbon dioxide emissions by more than 50 percent from 2005 levels.
These proactive initiatives are expected to reduce emissions to a level exceeding the goals of the Paris Agreement and the Clean Power Plan.
Additional progress on NiSource’s sustainability journey includes the following accomplishments in 2016.
Industry-Leading Safety Performance
- Responding to natural gas emergencies in 45 minutes, 15 minutes faster than the industry standard.
- A 14 percent decline in leaks found.
- Top quartile performance in key safety areas.
Top-Tier Customer Satisfaction and Investments That Deliver Service Reliability
- Record levels of capital investment driving improved safety and reliability.
- Fostering a customer-centric culture among employees, enhancing our processes and implementing new technologies to meet customers’ changing expectations.
- Continued support and advocacy of customer programs to help ensure affordability, increase comfort and reduce energy usage.
- Promoting programs allowing customers to generate electricity using renewable resources.
Recognized Among the Best Places to Work
- Ranked as No. 1 utility in Forbes’ 2017 America’s Best Large Employers list, as well as other national and regional recognition.
- Nearly 9 out of 10 of our employees would recommend NiSource as a great place to work.
- Approximately $5.5 million donated to nonprofit organizations in our communities.
- More than 13,500 hours volunteered by employees.
Full details of NiSource’s progress can be found in its 2016 Integrated Annual Report and related information available at nisource.com/sustainability.
NiSource is one of the largest fully-regulated utility companies in the United States, serving approximately 3.5 million natural gas customers and 500,000 electric customers across seven states through its local Columbia Gas and NIPSCO brands. The company’s approximately 8,000 employees are focused on safely delivering reliable and affordable energy to our customers and communities we serve.Dow Jones, NiSource
Comments are closed here.