The Canadian Gas Association (CGA) recognized the recipients of the 2017 Safety Award(s) for Excellence (SAFE) at its 2017 Operations, Engineering and Integrity Conference.
The four annual awards were presented to recipients from AltaGas Utilities, Enbridge Gas Distribution, Union Gas and Heritage Gas. A fifth award was created this year – the President’s Safety Award for Excellence – and presented to ATCO for their work in helping customers and communities deal with the 2016 Fort McMurray wildfires.
“The Safety Awards recognize CGA member companies and employees for exemplary commitment to health and safety excellence,” said Timothy M. Egan, president and CEO of the Canadian Gas Association. “These companies and individuals made significant contributions to safe operations and the reliable delivery of natural gas to the benefit of all Canadians.”
The CGA Safety Awards are intended to honor significant examples of the natural gas industry’s dedication to safety management. Through engagement in the awards program, member utilities have an opportunity to gain recognition at the corporate and individual level for their work, and through that recognition to inspire a culture of continuous improvement in safety for employees, contractors, customers and the public at large.
Awards were presented in:
- The Public Safety Award was awarded to Jeff Walter, Supervisor, Quality Assurance & Damage Prevention, AltaGas Utilities, for his active involvement in spreading the word in his community about damage prevention and the importance of safe digging.
- Enbridge Gas Distribution received the Worker Safety Award for its Environment, Health and Safety Department’s “Working Safely This Season” campaign, which was created to communicate seasonal safety messages to prevent workplace injuries.
- CGA’s Lifetime Achievement Awards was granted to Wayne Robinson from Union Gas for his exemplary work on and commitment to enhancing safety at work and in his community. Wayne has been a role model for many on health and safety management throughout his career.
- Heritage Gas received the Corporate Safety Award for Employee Safety and AltaGas Utilities received the Corporate Safety Award for Vehicular Safety because of their roles in reducing injury and vehicle damages at their companies over the last year.
- A special award – CGA’s President’s Safety Award for Excellence – was presented to ATCO for the exceptional work and outstanding safety performance and emergency response efforts during and in the months following the 2016 Fort McMurray Wildfires.
“Canadian utilities are dedicated to safety as a fundamental element of our work delivering natural gas to 6.8 million customers across Canada, and I am honored to be able to recognize some extraordinary examples of this commendable dedication,” said Egan.
The CGA is the voice of Canada’s natural gas distribution industry and its members are distribution companies, transmission companies, equipment manufacturers and other service providers. Natural gas has a central place in Canada’s energy mix meeting more than 30 percent of the country’s energy needs. Today 6.8 million customers representing well over 20 million Canadians rely on natural gas for heat and power in homes, apartments, buildings, businesses, hospitals and schools.Tags: AltaGas, ATCO, Canada, Canadian Gas Association, Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc., Heritage Gas, Union Gas